Friday, January 16, 2009

Gyakuten Kenji - Fucking FINALLY

As none of you know, but could probably guess, I adore the Phoenix Wright games. I've played through the first three games at least twice each, and enjoyed every moment that I wasn't yanking out clods of my own hair trying to get Phoenix to follow the same bouncing logic ball as me. I did not buy the fourth game, as my basic take on it was, "But I don't WANT a new main cast! :( I want the old one! Uwaaaa!"

The franchise's upcoming offering, Gyakuten Kenji, offers a new game without shuffling the original characters into the background. Rather, it simply focuses on a different set of characters, namely Miles Edgeworth and Dick Gumshoe. I don't have any particular liking for Edgeworth, but the focus on Gumshoe fills me with great joy! throughout the first three games, he was the only character who I consistently liked. Phoenix got on my nerves, Edgeworth teetered between pitiable angsting and supreme douchebaggery, and I constantly wanted to slaughter the assistants. Gumshoe, on the other hand, I found to be eternally endearing and entertaining.

Enough about my weird fixation with a satellite character; let's talk about the game. From the discussions and videos I've seen of the game ,as well as the little bito f game footage you can see in the trailer below, it appears to be much more like a point-and-click adventure game than its predecessors in the series. As someone who used to be something of an addict of such games, this excites me greatly. Psychic powers? Not exciting. Old school frustrations in a new medium? GIMME!



Japan gets it around the end of May, so maybe we can hope and pray for release here before 2010.

No comments: